Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go!

Thank you to those of you who have been praying for my work situation. After much prayer, David and I felt the Lord clearly telling us to walk away from the proposed contract with the urgent care (see previous post). This was quite a step of faith because there was nothing to walk toward, as we walked away from the contract. However, things have worked out nicely. I have the opportunity to moonlight (work as needed - like a "substitute doctor") for that same practice and probably for a few other practices as well. So, as long as there is work available, I can basically work when and where I want. Perfect! I have a few short evening shifts and two half-Saturdays to work in October - roughly 4 hours per week. I am SO GRATEFUL!!!! I really do look forward to working a little bit here and there, but I am not ready to be away from Laura for any length of time (although she'll be in GREAT hands with Oma/Pap and Mam/Grandad). It is such a SWEET season to be able to be with her 24 hours a day to nurture and care for her. I am having so much fun being a mommy - probably the richest season of my entire life. How grateful I am for the privilege of raising this little girl!

So, I'll continue moonlighting until God provides a very clear open door for permanent part-time employment. It would still be nice to have stable employment, especially these days. However, it is always a good thing to walk in faith, knowing that everything we have comes from the hand of the Lord. Again, David has done a wonderful job walking us through this, reminding me of God's faithfulness every step of the way. Have I mentioned how much I love my husband? He is a gift, indeed.

Laura turned three months this week. I can hardly believe it. This week, her hands have "found" each other. She often clasps them in front of her and it's incredibly cute. Her feet have also "found" each other. She loves to blow raspberries and make funny grunting noises. She sounds like a little old man many days. Where have all the cute coos gone? :) She also likes to kick and flail her arms (violently!) and then she stops abruptly, smiles, and looks at me for praise. It's precious! Modesty is no issue for her these days. She has learned to grab her dresses with both hands and pull them up to her mouth to chew on. Hello, belly button!


That's all for now - my eyelids are heavy and it's time for sleep... at least for a few hours. Laura has been waking up two times a night lately. I don't mind... I treasure this short season of late-night cuddles. Funny though, David said the other night that it seemed I was out of the bedroom everytime he woke up. I only fed Laura twice that night (I usually go to the living room to nurse her, so as not to wake him).... I must have fallen asleep for at least an hour during one of our nursing sessions. Who knew? (By the way, I sit up when I nurse her on the couch, so we both must have been quite a sight!) Oh, it's so much fun being a mommy. :)





This is one of her arm flailing episodes caught on film. :) Note the look of sheer determination.

Hello, belly button!

This one's for you, Aunt Julie! Thanks for the cute outfit!



This is Laura's friend, Addyson, at her first birthday party. Too cute!!!


I love my baby girl...

4 comments:

  1. Heather, I love that last picture of you and Laura together! I so enjoy hearing what a wonderful time you are having with motherhood! And I am very grateful to the Lord for providing you with good work:) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heather!
    Your little girl is so cute - what a cute head of hair!
    It's nice to "meet" you through mutual friends. :)
    Goodness, yes our daughter is good on car rides. But her first was when she was 3 1/2 months old. Then 3 weeks later at 4 months and a week she did it again. Then 3 days later she did it again. Then 10 days later she did it again. The we gave her a 3 week break before she did it again. :)
    It was hard. The first time I only drove 6 hours, because I wanted to break up the trip. She was nursing every 3 hours. After that it was every 4.
    A few piece of advice:
    Leave right after your baby has nursed. Yes, it's their awake time (I see you do Baby Wise, as I do), but you need to get moving.
    Leave in the late afternoon or evening if possible, so that a good part of the time the baby is in the car-seat, they would be sleeping anyway. (I left at 8pm the first time, then 3-4pm most times after that. We now leave at 12.)
    The baby will probably cry. I had to let her cry for an hour. I tried a bunch of things (music, singing, toys). Those help, but not much. I just kept telling myself (and her) "I'm sorry baby, we just have to get there." I knew she wasn't in pain, just mad/bored. Do what it takes to keep your sanity.
    Invest in a white noise CD!!! I made on with this website: http://cantonbecker.com/music/white-noise-sleep-sounds/index.html
    I played it for 4 hours straight and what a blessing! It helps them learn to sleep!
    When you stop to nurse, interact with the baby and play as much as possible. I gave her an extra 15-20 minutes of that to help. She was very unhappy to see the car-seat after that, and cried another 40 minutes, but then slept solid the remaining 3-4 hours.
    I wish you the best!!! I looked at it as if I were training my baby to be a good car rider, b/c with my husband and me, long trips are just normal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,
    I love your blogspot! Ryan and I were talking about old friends from the past. I didn't know how to reach you and he was determined he could find you on the internet and found your blogspot! Congratulations on your wedding and new baby! Just saw Christie the other night (from your old bible study). We both say hi! I have never posted on a blogsite so hope this works...
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcia!!!!!!!!! Not sure if you'll be checking the comments to get this response, but I need your contact info. You won't believe this, but I was praying just YESTERDAY that God would show me how to find YOU!!!!!! He sure does work quickly. Praise Him!!!! Could you e-mail me at mrsdoty@hotmail.com with your contact info so we can get in touch. I miss you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete